Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

Last week as I was running errands I ducked into our local bookstore to see what I could add to my bookshelf or coffee table.

After a few minutes of browsing I came across the "Funny/Comedy" section, as I flipped open Amy Sedaris' book, I found myself laughing out loud at the pure stupidity of it.


I grabbed the last two copies (one for myself, and the other for a friend who could use a laugh) and headed out into the snow.

While it feels strange to laugh to the point of tears at a book, that's exactly what I've been doing. It's especially awkward when read in a room full of people who have no clue why you think what looks like a recipe book is so funny.

And for some, the humour isn't their style- it's random and stupid at best.

I just happen to LOVE random and stupid.

From what little I have read, here's a few teasers to give you an idea:

When I started this book I fantasized that I would be able to do it on my own and in my spare time (how hard can it be? It’s recipes…). But after a few minutes of trying to type, that quaint fantasy quickly turned into desperate phone calls. It turns out to be very hard to steal a recipe.


On children’s parties:
Children before [the age of five] are too young to understand the concept of presents. You can gift wrap a head of cabbage and give it to a two-year-old and they won’t know the difference... [AND] Children’s parties should have a set time-limit, like "from 2 to 2:30," because, given a child’s boundless energy and the lack of yours, you will never wear them down.


On entertaining the elderly:
It’s never good to stereotype. All of your guests are individuals with different needs. Except in the case of the elderly. You can pretty much count on all of them not liking loud music and being cold.


Even if you don’t want to be the host:
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to be a hospitable person and have groups of people in your home touching your personables. Luckily, this sturdy book wll also inform you on how to be the perfect guest. From the minute you say, "yes I’ll be there," until the moment you say "I’m sorry, I should go," you have an important role in making the party a hit.


A recipe idea:
Take the chewed up cracker that is in your mouth and top it on another cracker and eat it




As I stated in my "to do" list at the beginning of the month, I want to laugh more and take myself less seriously... done.

1 comment:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

hilarious. :) thanks for sharing!