Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bejeweler

When I was a kid, my mom sewed a ton of our clothes. We had THE BEST Halloween costumes because she made them from scratch.

One year I was a princess (I used to tell people that I wanted to be a princess when I grew up... ah the joys of childhood naïveté). My mom made me this beautiful pink dress with a separate bejeweled pullover vest.

I LOVED that vest. I used to wear it alone with only a pair of underwear. I would pretend that it was my gymnastics outfit. More specifically, my "fantastics" outfit. Fantastics was my own special blend of dance and gymnastics. I used to spend hours in the basement doing rolls, pirouettes, flips and jumps. My bejeweled vest made me feel ultra-sassy.

I remember my mom telling me to put on pants on numerous occasions. It used to anger me to no end. Why couldn't she see that I was wearing my uniform- fantastics can't be practiced with pants!!!

Last month a turned 26, and I wanted to buy myself a bejeweler. I was sure there'd be something in the toy store, but I had no luck. I DID, however, stumble upon some awfully pretty gems in Michaels. The moment I got home I dumped them all out and sorted them into colours.

Now to make my fantastics outfit...

3 comments:

rachel joy said...

who wants to make a bet scotty will get a fantastics outfit too?

Anonymous said...

why are jewels so irresistible, that picture makes me want to go buy some.
my sister got a bejeweler like 5 years ago. i should ask her if she still has it.....do i feel a "bejeweling party" coming on?

jacqui

Keira-Anne said...

"So what you do is you get da' Bejewler."

I am thinking about that old Lotto 6/49 commercial now.