Friday, November 7, 2008

Upcycling

Until today, I didn’t realize that I have been part of a movement for the past 8 months.

It’s the refashion movement, or upcycling.

Back in February, I finally gave in to my heart and gave up purchasing new clothing for the period of one year.

I have bought the odd hat or pair of earrings- oh, and I did buy a new pair of workout tights because I do the gym thing a running thing quite a bit and couldn’t survive on my one pair (and those are of a rather “intimate” nature in my opinion), but I haven’t bought a stitch of new clothing other than that.

I’ve forgone shoes, shirts, dresses, jeans and purses.

New ones, that is.

I have found many “treasures” a the thrift shop and in my own closet that, with a few alterations, make for truly killer “worn agains.” I love that it tests and develops my creativity. My closet is beginning to look less “commercial”- which reflects my preferences elsewhere (none of my dishes match, and my home décor is eclectic), and I have not had as much fun with my clothes since the days of MC Hammer pants and slouch socks (the other day I dressed like a pirate- not in a costume, just the combo of my clothes made me think of a pirate… I thought it was hilarious. Who doesn’t have a good day when they’re dressed like a pirate?).


Nicola Prested, an Australian “refashionista,” created the Wardrobe Refashion Pledge:
I pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself for the term of my contract [abstain from the purchase of ‘new’ manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 2/4/6 months], I pledge that I shall create and craft items of clothing for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract.



Apparently her Nikki Shell website has a huge following. Her collaborative blog and flickr group have gained 1000 devout refashinistas around the globe.

At this month’s fashion week in Paris, big-name designer Vivienne Westwood had advice for people who enjoy fashion but lack the funds, DO IT YOURSELF. Even the design world is seeing a trend in “upcycling” in which discards are made into high-end fashion. And even more in the refashionista’s favour is the fact that top designers are favouring frayed edges and obvious stitching over laborious French seams and perfect structure.

Aside from the opportunity to be creative and have fun with your clothes- upcycling is also the eco-friendly choice as the most earth-friendly clothing/materials are those that already exist.

1 comment:

nikkishell said...

Hey! It's always nice to come across another refashionista!!! Keep up the good work.