Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Newyears.

I am sure that all those years of school has engrained this feeling of newness and possibility that always comes with the beginning of September.

For me, September is my Newyears. I begin to make plans for the coming year, I give myself a little “back to school” makeover, I give my home a few tweaks because I’m sick of the ‘same old” décor, I make new goals (school, fitness, social and hobby), and I shift my music preferences to more thoughtful vocals and bittersweet melodies.
I actually have quite a few traditions, some of which I have already fulfilled. I do these things every year, something about it just feels right.

*I always get blunt bangs. Over the past four years I have let my bangs grow out for the summer (because I refuse to do much styling when I know I’ll end up at the beach or in a pool), but then I begin to crave the fringe as the nights get cooler. Don’t know why, it’s weird, but I love it.



*I buy the September Vogue. I might purchase it one other time in the year, but to be honest, I prefer my “Nylon” magazine (I’ve also begun to enjoy Harper’s Bazaar because I actually read it rather than just look at all the pictures). Somehow the September issue is different (aside from it’s noticibly thicker size)… perhaps it’s just the ads, they help me get into the autumn mindset.

*I watch the SATC episode where Carrie speaks of the time of year that you can feel the seasons “click” from summer to fall… I don’t know what it’s called, but I may watch it after I finish typing this.

*I buy a new blanket: something soft and cozy for the couch. This year it is a burnt orange fleece throw from Costco.

*I hit the Body Shop or Bath and Body Works for autumn scented home fragrance oils. I love that they always come out with new ones every year.

* I buy spicy scented candles for my home. I love Peir 1 candles the best, they cost more, but they actually give off scent as you burn them, and they last forever.

* I buy a couple new outfits. This year, however, I can’t. I am still sworn to my “no new clothes for one year” rule. I can’t believe it’s already been 6 months! ... but that’s a whole other post.

* I rearrange my furniture. This is where I really miss my basement suite- grandma’s place is so huge. I love how simply moving a couch can give a small space an entirely new look. This year I gave every room a bit of a makeover by clearing all the bookshelves and surfaces, mixing it all up and then putting everything away in different rooms. I shuffled stuff around in the kitchen too and it honestly gives it a breath of fresh air. I used to drive my poor mom crazy because I would rearrange my bedroom every two months- I just got sick of looking at the same stuff all the time. From the moment I figured out that I could push my heavy desk around my room by propping myself against something sturdy on the ground and pushing it with my legs, my room was never the same (I think I was about 8 years old). What can I say? Change fuels my creativity.

*Summer is just way too hot to do any real damage in the kitchen, so as the weather cools down, I flip through all my cookbooks and stick post-its on everything I want to try (I remove them as I get around to cooking it)… and I dream of laughter-filled dinner parties (Grandma’s place is perfect).

* I change all the playlists on my IPOD. I get rid of those named “CocoCabana” and create ones called “Rubberboots”, “Chai Tea” and “Used Bookstore.” Perhaps Matthew Good will become one of my tradition playlists. Last September, Keira and I went to his concert. It was amazing (no surprise there), but his latest album (“Hospital Music”) was on replay for the entire month because it fit so perfectly. I think I am loving it even more this year given the way I am feeling right now.

No comments: