Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Damaged Art.

There is a fantastic line in the movie “The Breakup.” In it, Jennifer Aniston (my lovely), works at an art gallery and is speaking with a client about how one goes about picking art. She said, “Never buy a piece of art that you don’t have to have.”

Even though it is a comedy, that line stuck with me. I would love to say that I know stuff about art, but truth is, I know nothing (I am, however taking my SECOND art course for Emily Carr this fall).

My mom and I were wandering around in Home Sense last week. I was clutching a rusty crow (for my fabulous Halloween dinner party that I want to have every year but never get around to having it), and a set of 600 thread count plum-brown sheets (another fall tradition: new sheets) when I came upon a 6 foot black and white photograph of the Eiffel tower taken from below. I just stopped and stared at it.
As cheesy as it may sound, I actually felt emotional looking at it. Not sad, not happy, I can’t really explain it, but I honestly couldn’t turn away from it.

The thing is. If asked, I would have said a photo of the Eiffel tower doesn’t really suit my style (I’m much more of an eclectic flea-market bohemian taste), but standing in front of it, I pictured it on my wall.

I pointed it out to my mom; she pointed out the 16-inch scratch across the top where the dark brown paint gave way to the white canvas. I saw the opportunity for a price reduction; she said “where on EARTH are you going to put that monstrosity?” (oh bless my mom for ALWAYS saying what she means… hahaha), I shrugged and thought, “I’ll put it in my bathroom if I have to because I love it!”

I inquired about the scratch to the lady setting up a bedroom display. Five minutes later the manager said “55 bucks” and I said, “DONE!”

My mom said, “what are you going to do about that scratch? It’ll never look right” and I said, “I dunno, I just love it, and that scratch is what is going to allow me to walk out of here with it because I wouldn’t be able to afford it otherwise.”
Its flaw is the best thing about it.

I ditched the sheets and rusty crow and bought it.

Once I got it home, it inspired a whole wave of redecorating in a room I despised.


My downstairs livingroom is now black, white and red… a Parisian-rocker vibe complete with leopard print, black candles, an antique record player, guitar, pearls and wine coloured drapes (all stuff I already had, but never would have thought to combine it the way the Eiffel tower picture had inspired).







It’s now my favourite room- I am sitting in it right now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! look how great it is! the last picture really helps me understand the size of the picture. The new room looks wicked. have us over for a double date. we will dress parisian.

Keira-Anne said...

I love it!