Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Good read

My camera instruction manual might be the best read of the year.

My Newyears resolution was to read one book a month for the entire year. To those who are voracious readers, I am sure that sounds pathetic, but to that I ask: how many books did you read while you were working part time and going to school full time?

Truth is, I am one book ahead of my resolution.

One of the great things about not shopping for new clothes is that we’ve got just as much money in the bank even though Scotty has pulled out of the work force and gone back to school (I am now full time and making a bit better of a wage now that I am manager). I have been to Valu-Village 3 times since making my commitment to buying nothing new (in clothing terms). I believe in total I have spent $150 on clothing in 6 months. That is not to say I haven’t bought clothes- I have come out of VV with approximately 10 new items every time (count 30 pieces of clothing), AND I have bought quite a few dishes… but that’s a whole other post.

This combined with the fact that I have been pulling mondo hours at the group home for the month of August has afforded me quite the treat: a new camera.

I love taking pictures, but have only ever had cheap cameras that are incapable to snapping night shots, or moving shots and the zoom as laughable. People have commented on my photos, but I have to give credit where credit is due: when I am taking pictures, I am channeling Angela Haugo. SHE is an incredible photographer. She is the definition of inspiration. I pay close attention to her work, and I am sure is it obvious in comparing my pictures to hers. Ang is the innovator, I am the immitator.
When I went to Pemberton with her, I was eyeing her camera, and Ang being the doll that she is, let me play with it (despite the fact that I had no clue about what I was doing). After only a couple shots, I was sold. It was obvious that a few extra bucks makes a serious difference. Her man, Domi (an accomplished photographer himself) swears by Canon.

A Canon Powershot S5 1S became my obsession. The problem is, it is an elusive camera to track down. After a couple extensive searches for this camera both here and across the boarder (even Bestbuy warehouses where out of stock) proved fruitless. At the peak of frustration, I threw up my hands and (loudly) gave in.

That’s when Scotty showed up at my work a week ago (during an interview… oops) with my new baby, and a 2 GB memory card. I have only gotten half way through the “quickstart” guide and my mind has already been blown- Domi and Ang did not steer me wrong, and for $350 plus tax, I have the most gorgeous camera rather than two pairs of over-priced jeans hanging in my closet.


I LOVE not shopping!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the props! Enjoy the camera it's a goodie. I have it in my purse right now!

Ang said...

says someone anonymous that you gave props to. it's not domi.

Corinna said...

so glad that you found something to capture your memories with. you really do take a great picture