Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Bunny's Wonder Woman

4:50 am I woke from a very deep slumber to a muffled squeel coming from the back yard. I took a couple deep breaths, flung myself out of bed and sprinted down the hall, stairs, through the kitchen, down a few more steps, stopped momentarily to throw on all the WRONG lights, through two sliding doors and into my black back yard.

Forget the fact that I've got early stages of plantar faciitis (from freakin' flip flops!), I couldn't even feel the rocks under my feet. I tripped only once (onto the dewy-wet lawn), but I was up in seconds and barreling towards the back corner of our lot, out popped a scared, wet and disheveled Coconut(my Holland lop), but I kept going for the asshole who wasn't playing nice with my baby...



It hopped onto the back fence...I was staring at a smug raccoon. Honestly, if I were just a bit closer I would've punched that raccoon in the bum. My fists were clenched and I was pissed... but he slunk over the fence.

At that moment the backyard flooded with light, and a confused Scotty was standing by the sliding door to see his wife covered in grass clippings (from my fall)... with a wild look still in her eyes.

I scooped up my little boy and he grabbed Pancake. They're spending the rest of the morning in the sun room.

Only a couple bleeding back claws and a whole lot of saliva-matted hair... he put up a solid flight!

As I type this, I flicked on the floodlight to see a mother raccoon and her two little ones climbing around our garden... bunnies go inside at night time from now on.

2 comments:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

it's quite possible that you're my hero. :)

Anonymous said...

damn raccoon...messing with your cute little coconut. i did however get a good visual of you covered in grass with a wild look in your eyes.... it made me chuckle.
jacqui