Friday, August 15, 2008

Drums and a Bloated Moon

I am perched on the back of the couch, my laptop resting on the window-seat, the moon is swollen and fat and is casting a deep silver light on the few small clouds that remain suspended in the hot summer night air.

I am at work yet again, but something feels different tonight.

I humidity just hangs in the air... and I love it. While some complain that these hot nights make sleeping hard, I actually enjoy them. It is exactly this that I crave in the middle of winter when it seems that nothing can warm me up.



The sounds of tribal drums are echoing off the houses- all I can guess is that someone is having a full moon celebration. Every once and a while I hear cheers, and there is part of me that wants to wander out into the neighbourhood to see the action.

Even though it seems to be the butt of far too many jokes amongst mainlanders... Surrey has grown on me. I truly love how multicultural it is. I enjoy walking into a store and being an ethnic minority. If one wants authentic ethnic dishes, it seems that Surrey is the place to find it.

Truth is, I ache to travel. I have not been off the continent yet, but have always dreamt of running away for a while and seeing how other people live. I am fascinated by other cultures and traditions.

Money is hard to come by in these final months of my undergraduate degree (and years of Scotty's), I know that travel isn't feasible in the near future... so for now I have to find enjoyment in my present surroundings.

Staring at the moon and listening to the beating drums tonight makes me feel that it may not be so difficult.

1 comment:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

did you take that picture? because it's fabulously beautiful!