Monday, June 9, 2008

Thursdays

On Thursday mornings I pack up my books and head up Burnaby mountain with Scotty to take advantage of their scenic study spots, coffee shops and the "atmosphere of learning."

Thursdays are a day of contrast. We spend the morning at the Burnaby mountain campus and the afternoon ate the harbour center campus in downtown Vancouver. Last Thursday I took advantage of some of the trails on the outskirts of the campus while Scotty finished up his last class on the mountain. It was pouring rain, the trails were slick and muddy (I fell onto my hands twice while scurrying up the hills), the air was thick and the peppery scent of the forest was invigorating. As I rounded cardiac hill the rain turned to downpour and the clouds enveloped me as I climbed.

Surrounded by moss, towering trees and lush ferns my spirit soared. I turned off my ipod and was serenaded by the sound of my breath, the pouring rain and the singing birds. As I weaved along the path, leaping over the puddles, I stretched out my hands to touch the moss covered stumps as I passed. An hour later I was in the car heading for the heart of Vancouver. Trees turned into houses, houses turned into buildings, and soon the buildings nearly blocked out the sky.

As we headed down Hastings, I stared out my window as we drove through the Eastside. Every week I stare out my window in silence and see something new... something shattering my stereotypes. As a wave of hopelessness overtakes me, we cross into gastown and I stare at shiny shops- I am hit with consumerism and excess... it is impossible to process the polar opposites, and I am left feeling numb.

Usually I settle into the library and work on my online courses, but last week I grabbed a coffee and headed for Robson. As I walked around in Urban Outfitters I found myself stretching out my hands to feel the fabric of the dresses and shirts, just as I had done with the mossy stumps on my trail run little over an hour ago. I was serenaded by some indie band playing on the sound system and was confronted by a sea of bright colours... I felt empty. I was acutely aware of being completely detached from my spirit... I couldn't feel it.

As I left the store with a couple gifts for friends (I'm STILL not buying new clothes... I'm sticking it out until at least next Valentine's day as I had committed), I felt I had begun to peel back some truth: there is something truly soul-quenching to be found in nature- it's where I find God- its where I can feel my spirit. It is where I am reminded that I am a spiritual being, and all the man-made material stuff just muddies that.

It distances you by keeping you distracted.

1 comment:

Keira-Anne said...

This was undoubtedly the most beautiful thing I have read in a long time. Your description of the forest walk was almost a tangible experience for me as a reader. I can completely relate to what you described, with regard to the atmosphere of things downtown. It's so filled with stuff, stuff, stuff and yet it's entirely empty. Rather ironic. We have much to talk about.

Thanks for sharing this.