Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nothing New

My day didn't pan out quite like I had planned on filling my afternoon with random acts of kindness like giving roses to a stranger in the parking lot, buying a cup of coffee for the person behind me in line at Tim Hortons, bringing heart-shaped sugar cookies to the retirement center, and collecting old blankets for the dogs and cats at the pet shelter...

Instead I made a huge batch of mini cherry chip cupcakes and delivered them to Scotty's grandma, our youth leaders, my group home, and my inlaws.

As good as it sounded to spend the day doing random acts of kindness- I felt God telling me that it wasn't the right time- that he wanted so much more from me than a few acts of love I could do and still maintain a safe distance, with little sacrifice. He wants a bolder statement- he wants my life to be LIVED in love.

Lately I've been asking myself how I can claim to love my brothers and sisters while spending too much money on new clothes that I don't really need. And what's worse is that I am inevitably supporting kid labour, or at very least, unspeakable working conditions for many poor and desperate people.

So I am waving my white flag: I am committing to a year of going without new clothes. Don't ask me to go to the mall, because I won't be buying anything new- if I really want clothing, I'll buy recycled (no large corporation will profit from my purchase), or sew my own clothes... and I am convinced I will be happier for it.

(I make only one exception- because I run, I will likely need new shoes- or my knees will suffer).

The money I save will do better things than hang in my closet. I will be forced to be thrifty and creative- and I will rediscover one of my old hobbies...sewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's sweet chelsea! imagine if you started a movement... how much money we could give away!
-andrew