Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New Arrival

The zoo wasn't all horrible truths.

As wee approached the silverback gorilla enclosure, we saw a group of docents with a clipboard observing something in the enclosure.

As we watched the massive male regurgitate the same mouthful off hay, leaves and veggies into his palm (yummy, I know)- in my eavesdropping I learned that they were there to watch the zoo's youngest addition- a baby gorilla born at the zoo on October 20th to "Amanda" (who has previously given birth to two other female gorilla's in the same enclosure). I flagged a gentleman over and learned that it was born at 6 lbs and was now 9 lbs at their best guess. He told us that earlier that day, the baby had stood on its own for the first time and actually kissed it's older sister on the forehead.



As I stood regretting the fact that I hadn't come earlier, the mother, "Amanda" emerged from the bushes and came up over the hill with a tiny little ball of fur clinging to her belly.

She proceeded to sit down with her back to the glass right in front of us so that we could peer over her shoulder into that tiny little face that made me squeek with excitement.

No comments: