Friday, April 18, 2008

Finding Calcutta

Some dream of Paris. Others dream of Tahiti.

I dream of Africa.



I have always held a fascination of Africa- its culture, varied landscapes, and exotic wildlife, but most of all, I am fascinated by its people.



In grade 7, as I began to understand that poverty was only scratching the surface of the problems in Africa- I vowed to become a doctor. I thought I would pack my bags the moment I graduated from medical school, move to Africa, open a clinic and live out my days serving the people.

That dream followed me all the way to UBC. I completed one semester of pre-Med, and then pulled out.

My grades weren't the problem (I had a B- average)... it was my heart. In the 3 months I lived there, it never felt right.

I worked for a year as a lifeguard, swim teacher and water aerobics instructor, trying to give myself time to figure out what had happened.

For six years I had dreamt of being a doctor in Africa- was I really doing the right thing by pulling out of the race after only three months?

I re-enrolled in school in 2003, but this time by correspondence- working part time and doing school part time. It suited me well because I really had no clue what my game plan was.

All I knew was that my life's heartbeat was to help people.

Mother Teresa's call to the public was that each person must "Find your Calcutta."


The first time I came across that message, it hit me like a ton of bricks: impoverishment isn't confined in Africa, and poverty comes in many forms (physical, spiritual, emotional etc.).

I had wanted make my entrance into Africa in the role of cavalry. I wanted to be a hero, a savior to the people.

I had wanted my job to define me and my knowledge to lead me.

But God wanted humility to define me and my heart to lead me.

I have found Calcutta, she's right outside my door. Sometimes she comes in and eats with me, and what I cannot shake is that, had I let my career, not my heart, lead me, I wouldn't have noticed nor recognized her unless she had an ailment that only medicine could fix.

No comments: