Friday, April 18, 2008

Create.



It may be true that one man's trash is another man's treasure...

It's been just over two months and counting that I have made honest on my commitment to stop buying new clothing. I even side-stepped the mall last month and opted to make my friend, Jacqui, a recycled gift rather than throw money down on something new.

No, I'm not talking about a re-gifter closet...


I made Jacqui a gift out of recycled materials. I got back into my sewing groove and designed a couple throw pillows for her living room made from vintage cloth and pillow forms I scored at ValuVillage.


About four hours later I turned a heap of someone's fabric scraps into these little gems.














Pier 1 charges about $40 a pillow, the materials in mine may have run me a whoppin' $3.50 each. I enjoyed the process, designed something entirely to suit her (she's a little bird crazy), and saved more "junk" from entering our overflowing landfills. We're such a wasteful culture, but I am convinced that with a little work we can learn to see beauty and possibility in things that we consider trash and stop thinking that everything must be "new."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay....my pillows! i LOVE them...and they're definitely worth more more than $3.50 to me.
jacqui

Ben S. said...

i'm very impressed. well done.

Keira-Anne said...

The one with the little white figure with what looks like bamboo...wow. You impress me, Mrs. Martens! Good on you for sticking to your goal.

Love.

Farrah said...

i like the buttons on the peacock pillow :-)

afterthoughtcomposer said...

i have a living room and my birthday is in september.
...wait, even better: wanna hang out one day and you can rub some of your domesticity off onto me? :) that'd be swell!

Cheryl said...

Hello talented.
My pillows would not turn out like that....but something in me wants to bring back those skills that 'I' apparently had in Grade 9 sewing as well now....
Hhmmm....