Saturday, February 9, 2008

No One Likes A Critic

Lately I've been more attentive to how we treat one another. It seems that I tend to have the same conversation with the same conclusion: Women need to be more supportive of one another, and though the war between women is a special case in and of itself, I think people in general, need to be better to each other (myself included).

I know I'm not stating anything new, but it doesn't make it any less true- we DO need to change.

I wish we could cut each other a little slack- so many of us hold expectations that no one can live up to. We're so quick to write someone off if they make even the slightest mistake, or of they let us down. And I hate how we relentlessly question someone's authenticity. If someone says that they're trying to make a change, we're so quick to criticize, even though we're all well aware that change does not come overnight, but takes a lot of work.




We're so quick to discourage one another, and so slow to forgive.

The movie "Bruce Almighty" has a line that has always stuck with me:
"Be the change you want to see."

I believe that if we all lived by this philosophy we'd be a lot happier, and our relationships would be a lot better off.

Instead of citisizing our society for not doing more for the poor and destitute- do something about it. Instead of criticising our churches for being full of hypocrites or judgemental people- start with yourself. Instead of being hard on a family member for letting you down- extend a little grace and apologize for the times you let them down. Instead of disparaging a friend for not being sensitive, be sensitive to them first.

I believe there are only a handful of cases in which a person is the vicitim (at 0% fault). Most of the time we all have a lot more control over an outcome than we'd like to admit. You can hold onto your pride and play the self-pity card, or you can shake it off and/or work it out and then move forward into being the change you want to see.

No comments: