Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Product of My Culture


I've been wrestling with finding a balance between living in our society and taking responsibility for the marginalized. In a society which is all about what you can get- how do you continue to live in it selflessly?

The thought can drive me mad. As much as I try- I keep finding myself buying more "stuff" or seeking something to entertain me that inevitably costs more money than many families in third world countries make in a week.

I could just give everything up, but if I am honest with myself, I know that it wouldn't be genuine, and I would end up being totally bitter and jealous of everyone around me who continue to live their lives as I used to.

I do believe that we will all be held accountable for how we cared for the needy, and I also believe that when we decide to give something up- if we want it to be a lasting change- we need to replace it with something else.

If you love your grande Starbucks lattes at a whopping $5 a pop; or you spend every Friday night at the movie theater; or you love to get together with friends at a cozy restaurant and enjoy a lovely meal together; or you can't pass down a good deal and you hear those clearance racks calling your name every Saturday morning. Whatever the case, it seems as if our lives revolve around making money and spending it.

Have you ever tried to go three days without spending a cent? It's practically impossible. Unless you stay holed up in your house, you'll almost inevitably spend money on something. And simply giving up these things is likely to give you the martyr syndrome, followed by many bitter pity parties, unless you find a suitable replacement (there is only so much wandering around your house you can take).

So what's the answer?

Starbucks coffees, meals out, shopping, movies etc. are not only expensive, but they're not necessity- especially when you consider what that money COULD do for our brothers and sisters who weren't so lucky to be born into such material blessing.




I envy those who have truly learned to live simply, but I haven't quite figured it out- partly due to fear, and partly because I am sure that I would become a recluse. I am a product of a consumer-obsessed society; and as such, I really don't know how to have "free fun." I have lost the ability to entertain myself.

But I'm ready and willing to learn.

No comments: