Friday, January 2, 2009

Just Be

I used to be big on the New Year's resolutions, but this year I made some post-trip goals. Being outside in the sunshine on the beaches of Varadero a couple weeks ago gave me time to think about my life. The most recurring thought was that I wanted to live more in the moment.

I am a future junkie. I am always living in the future. Mentally I am always focused on tonight, tomorrow, the coming weekend, next year, the moment Scotty and I are both done school... at times I am *SO* focused on the future that I miss out on the day I am in. Sometimes I can hardly wait to be in the future, only to arrive there and be focused on the NEXT thing.

Last week as my mom and I wandered around in the gift shop on the ferry, I picked up a book of quotes and flipped to one that really spoke to me:

As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are.
Otherwise you will miss most of your life.
-Buddha


3 comments:

Cheri | Kitchen Simplicity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri | Kitchen Simplicity said...

Hey Chelsea! I just came across your blog now... it's great to see a glimpse into your life. Thanks for the reminder! This is something that I far too often do to myself!

afterthoughtcomposer said...

As my hilarious and awesome friend Karl Wilson said in college:

"No matter where you are and what you are doing, you will always be there."

okay, so he wrote it to be funny (and I admit, 18year old me laughed hysterically when I read it...and I still laugh...) regardless, I think we can all glean some truth from Karl Wilson.

It's good to live in the moment. It's so much easier than living somewhere that you aren't :)