Monday, November 3, 2008

Fire Starter

This weekend was weird.

It was such a mix of highs and lows. Some moments were so fun and exciting and others made me break down in tears.

I came out of it last night feeing as if I had been in a cloud.

It is in those "lows" that there is great opportunity for growth, for change, an opportunity to re-assess. On Saturday I had an epiphany moment.

I won't go into detail, but on Saturday night as I tried to talk something through to Scotty, using him as a sound-board for something upsetting that had just happened, my voice started to quiver, and I broke into tears.

As I sat and felt sorry for myself- I was faced with a choice: I could play the victim, and spend the rest of the weekend moping around, or I could choose to act on the things I have control over and let go of those things I don't.

In that moment, I chose the latter.

I took a deep breath, and in my head I assessed what I needed to "shake off" and let be.

So often are the times where someone's words crush a spirit. There's a reason why the tongue is called a sword. It has the capacity to do great damage.

Something was said that totally crushed me...

...until I decided to use them to my advantage.


I chose to gleen what good I could from them. I decided that there are things I DO need to change... and that painful conversation could be used to ignite that.

I used it as a fire-starter, and threw the rest away.


I chose to not be the victim.

And thanks to you, there's a fire burning- what may have been intended to cut (or may not have... of that I am not certain, and don't really care) has opened a door. It has forced me from my comfort, and has pushed me to grow.

1 comment:

Chels said...

Just to clarify: Scotty didn't cause my tears- he just told me that the reason why I was crying was ridiculous (in a loving way)