Saturday, November 22, 2008

Creativity and dressing like a pirate aside…

...there are other bonuses to upcyling. One of them being that it’s one of those hobbies that SAVES you money (hmmm… more money in my pocket AND entertainment? … Dang).

I’ve saved a lot of money, which is good because we have less than we’ve ever had (I've chosen to embrace the "going-without" lifestyle, I believe it tends to make the good things in life that much sweeter). I have done a lot of mending too. Normally I would’ve just tossed inexpensive items, and replaced them, but instead, I have got good mileage out of my sewing kit.

Mending ain’t so bad if you can do it with your favourite movie on in the background.

Recently, it came to my attention that I am actually wearing-out some of my clothes. I have this cream racer-back tank top that I love, and I’ve worn it a ton of times as a camisole. The seams just started to go because it has been washed so much. In the past I would’ve just tossed it. I think it was $8 brand new, and would’ve only cost $15 to replace; however, I am not allowed to buy “new.” So I was forced to mend it. It saved me $15 bucks and took 20 mins from start to finish. I realize that those simple mending jobs all tallied up have saved me a nice little stash of cash over these past 9 mos.

And that’s just money saved on replacing what you had. Most people shop to find new looks, or to update what they already have. Even if I find great deals, I never walk out of a mall with less than $50 worth of goods. Say I only hit the mall once a month- even so, I have saved $450 on the new stuff.

I have, however, been shopping. I have hit Value village a total of 3 times, and each time I have come out with an oversized bag-full of clothes to the tune of $60 a pop.

So I have spent $180 on clothes rather than $450 (and that doesn't include all the meding I've done).

And lets just say… even though I am a bargain hunter at heart, I definately spent more than $50 a month on clothes.

No comments: