Thursday, October 9, 2008

Beautiful Ordinary

Facebook and I have a love/hate relationship.

I love how I can keep in touch with people that I don’t see often, and I can stay in the loop even when my work and school schedule don’t allow for me to be as social as I might like.

I dislike the “brag-book” aspect of it. It never fails, every time I go on, it is inevitable, someone is always on or about to go on a great trip, buying a house or a car, getting a three day weekend, getting married etc. while I am just doing the regular grind.

Seeing all the excitement and action in everybody else’s lives can leave a bad taste in my own mouth. It can be hazardous to the health to compare my life to someone else’s when there is nothing new or exciting on the horizon.

It is amazing how one can be fine with their own life until they hear about the exciting stuff going on in other people’s lives.

Truth is, trips end, down-payments turn into mortgages and monthly car payments, three day weekends give way to a five day work/school week, weddings become memories captured on film. The real test is being happy in the daily grind, finding adventure, contentment and inspiration in the day-to-day. It doesn’t always take a change of scenery, extra days off, or big bucks to enjoy life, but rather it involves making the most of what you’ve got… and choosing to appreciate it.


With that in mind, I took a “me-day” recently. I didn’t do anything exciting, but I set out with the goal of enjoying simplicity. My day started with a cup of coffee and a newspaper, and then a run in the rain. It’s amazing how much better a run can be when you change up your playlist, take a different route or make an effort to enjoy the scenery. A simple shower can be a whole lot better when you sing. A commute can be more exciting if you treat that CD as a music soundtrack to your life, and stealing glances at your surroundings while you drive can reveal beauty that you may not have ever noticed in your rush to and from work. Errands can be made brighter by actually speaking with the cashier at the grocery store.

On my “me-day,” after my shower, I grabbed by favourite dress to do some errands (rather than the obligatory yoga pants and sweatshirt). Funny thing: a dress is just as easy, if not easier, to throw on as frump clothes, but it adds a little skip to your step even when doing the mundane. I hopped in my car, cranked “Sam’s Town” by The Killers and put a few drops of Pumpkin Nectarine oil in my car diffuser to give my car an autumnal scent. I made an effort to enjoy my surroundings on my drive into Richmond, and I smiled at the orange pumpkin fields as I waited at the lights. In Kerrisdale Cameras while picking up a case and some rechargeable batteries, I struck up a conversation with the salesman and he ended up teaching me a couple simple tricks to take better photos. I made a dash into the mall to pick up some gifts… buying for others really is so much more enjoyable than buying for myself. I didn’t feel like a martyr as I passed through clothing stores, knowing that I still have 4 more months left on my “No New Clothes For a Year” commitment, because I chose to be happy with what I have. While all the clothes in the mall may be off limits for me- I also reminded myself that save a lot of money by only going thrift or sewing it myself (let alone knowing that I am not supporting companies who capitalize on people in 3rd world countries by underpaying them and subjecting them to horrible working conditions), and the creative side of me likes that there isn’t a dozen identical dresses hanging on the rack in the stores I shop in. I left the mall with gifts for other people and a DVD for myself. When I got home I made myself popcorn and a strawberry margarita and snuggled into my big yellow couch (also purchased from a thrift store a few years ago) as I watched my newly purchased copy of “Sex and the City: The Movie.”

The evening that followed involved landry, making dinner, school work and cleaning the litter box, but those long weekends and exciting trips were the furthest thing from my mind.

1 comment:

Keira-Anne said...

Sounds divine :) And I totally agree with you about Facebook...all the way.