Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sleepless in South Delta

In a pinch to figure out what to wear?

I wish I could take credit for this... I really do... but I can't.

I was flipping through my Nylon magazine last week. Aside from all the other reasons to love it (less commercial, witty articles that make one laugh out loud, solid music reviews of artists that aren't so mainstream etc.)- there is always a "Do-It Yourself" section that features ways to make things you already have at the back of your closet into something with more edge/style with minimal-to-no sewing.

This month's was mind blowing.

The ghost designer behind the Waldorf clothing line featured on Gossip Girl was in charge of this month's diy.

Take a pillow case, cut whatever neck line you want (be it boat neck, v-neck, off the shoulder, racer-back etc.) in the top- then cut arm holes (tear-drop shape look the coolest... so you should aim to have the arm hole come to a point at the bottom).

VOILA!

You can sew around the raw egdes or leave them to fray.

What is truly brilliant is that you can buy any length of pillow case (and widths differ too if you go for european sized pillows vs standard) AND you can cut it off shorter if you want it to be a cool shirt. I took the hem down after this picture so that I can comfortably wear it as a dress, but at this length it would look amazing over tights or stovepipe jeans.

3 comments:

Keira-Anne said...

That's truly genius, Chels - you look fab!

Corinna said...

you little creative you...do you think you could make one in my size? hee hee hee

Anonymous said...

pillow case + chels = HOT

jacqui