Monday, June 23, 2008

The Ultimate Do-It-Yourself Girl

Long before we became tragically short on money (due to mine and Scotty's tuition), I always loved the challenge of DIY projects. I believe it is in my blood, passed down from my dear mom.

Anyone who has ever gone shopping with me has likely heard me say... "I could do THAT myself." It started with me making my own toys as a child and progressed to clothing and room decor in my teens (if you knew me when I was 14 you may recall the lampshade fashioned entirely out of photo negatives... which I saw a few weeks ago in a home decor magazine!), and has now progressed into refitting old cast-away clothes into something modern (usually inspired by current fashion magazines), bath and body products made from scratch (I'm STILL trying to figure out how LUSH makes that jelly soap), and more home decorating.

It has become a bit of a sickness... a strange sense of pride. I often feel as though "buying it" would be admitting defeat, and the high price tag serving as the bitter cherry on top (See? I really am meant to be poor).

Three and a half weeks ago, I did this: (I had avoided posting it earlier to prove all those who would normally say "It's gonna get infected" wrong).



I pierced my own ears many times in high school and had no trouble. The belly button in grade 11 was a little trickier and took a second go because I didn't do it deep enough to allow for it to "reject" a little. Personally, I don't see the difference between doing it yourself and paying someone else to do it for you as long as you are careful about cleanliness. Piercing was/is often a cultural practice and they seem to do just fine minus the fancy piercing studios. And pain is pain and I handle mine just fine (seeing as I am made to push a live human out of my body... I figure piercing is peanuts).

Besides, "DIY Chelsea" paid $3 instead of $50.

2 comments:

Farrah said...

Wow!

afterthoughtcomposer said...

Didn't you have one of these already? Odd. I need to pay better attention :) I saw it in your nose when we hopped the border, I just figured it had been there, because it looked so good.
Also, you're braver than I will ever be :) I could never stick a tac through my nose.