Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Get Outside

Because of all the hard work I've put into the past few weeks, I felt it only fair to reward myself.

My top love language is a tie for acts of service and gifts.

Because serving myself can get a little tricky, I bought myself a one year subscription to "Backpaker" magazine.

Last Friday, shortly after my feet hit the floor, I convinced my husband to come for a run through the forest in the rain. We crossed over the boarder into Point Roberts, parked our car by Lily Point and started weaving back and forth along the muddy paths.

With my music pumping, the scent of wet dirt, and the sound of crashing waves over the cliff we ran beside- I couldn't stop smiling. Literally, full open mouth, massive smiling. I felt so happy to be outside, connecting with and enjoying that which God made. I realized that too much of my time is spent within man made walls... and my soul has been aching to reconnect with the depths that only a fire sunset, jagged mountains, a gentle rain, breaking surf, and singing birds can bring.

I vowed to return.

(My sister in law is a king when it comes to the anything outdoorsy. She knows how to rock climb, snow camp and find her way out of any forest-she doesn't need trails.)

After out trail run we went to a great little coffee shop for an Americano and a panini. I pulled out a "Backpacker" magazine out of a stack. I was sold. Even the advertisements centered on nature with breath-taking photos.

Anyone for a hike?

3 comments:

Ben S. said...

another great magazine that's canadian is "explore" magazine. it's only $20/yr for 10 issues and the articles are fantastic. i read it cover to cover when it comes every month. and it tells you about places to go explore in canada which i love. as for hiking? i'll come anytime. (so will tim)

Anonymous said...

If we still lived in the same place, I'D DEFINITELY GO ON A HIKE. I hate being inside!!

afterthoughtcomposer said...

i love hiking.
that being said, you and all your athleticism will probably leave me in the dust. however. i still love hiking :) count me in!