Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Big Change




It's official. My days as a pastor's wife are numbered. In just over a month my man will hang up his "Pastor McDreamy" t-shirt (I made it for him a few years ago) and head back to school. He'll be bussing and skytraining up Burnaby mountain three days a week this summer.

In a few years he'll have his BA in History, and start working on his PDP so he can teach PE and coach football for the rest of his life... He'll be kicking up his feet during winter,spring AND summer break while the rest of us fools work like slaves only to get our two weeks of paid vacation (in which, we have HUGE expectations).

It's so perfect for him that it really is a "no-brainer." But it will be so strange when he's done. He started at the church one month after we got married... So basically we've been Mr and Mrs Pastor right from the start.

I have to say, we don't leave "the ministry" (I use quotations because we'll always be in the ministry... it's who we've become) bittered, indignant or marred... we NEVER had that experience. We've been challenged to our cores about what we really want in life, who we want to be... who God made us to be.

My life has changed- I've met the depths of my soul- I've met the REAL Jesus and I am fearfully excited.

If we didn't have those four years I would probably be chasing empty goals, confusing power for success, equating worth to possessions, and entering every relationship with competition. If we didn't have those four years- I would be a prisoner to my achievements and assets.

Thank God that didn't happen. Thank God for all the people we have met- who have been part of our journey, who have taught us how to hear that still, small voice. Who have prayed into our lives, and have spoken to our souls.

When we finish next month we'll take only one thing:

LOVE.

2 comments:

Brent White said...

You'll always be Mr.& Mrs. Pastor McDreamy to me.
But more importantly you'll always be friends.

mo said...

Long story short, I'm working on putting together a presentation for a research proposal relating to Africa and and stumbled across your blog while looking for pics to add to my power point. I couldn't help but read because you and I seem to have a LOT of similarities... I'm really curious, Who do you think the REAL Jesus is? What makes you believe?