Thursday, December 6, 2007

25

Today I turned 25, and I've noticed that my last few birthdays have been preceeded by a fair ammount of introspection. It's no longer about getting presents, eating cake and finally being a year older, but serves more as a marker for reflection.

My words of wisdom from this year's self-reflection?

GET OVER YOURSELF.

I mean it in the most empowering way possible. I am bound and determined to not take myself so seriously. To stop expecting the world to stand still everytime I have a bad day. To laugh at myself more, and to stop comparing myself against others. To see others' needs above my wants. To make the people who are truely important in my life feel it everytime they're around me.

I've realized that my birthday is really just another day, and that, in fact, it simply marks the anniversary if my birth. So why should I get the pat on the back for simply being born when my mother is the one who had to give birth to my 9 pound 3 ounce breech ass.

She's the one who should be celebrated. Not only did she bring me into the world, but a huge part of who I am today is due to that woman who has displayed the greatest amount of strength I have ever seen. She loved me when her world fell apart. She tried her hardest to hide her pain be be strong for her family... she is a woman of true integrity who stayed when it would've been easier to run.

That is a rare thing- and as I get older I realize how blessed I am to have been raised by such an incredible woman.

So today, on my birthday, I want to thank my mother- for all she is, and for so much of who I am.

2 comments:

Corinna said...

maybe just made me cry, just a little.

Anonymous said...

Deep stuff Chels. You have a wisdom beyond your years!