Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sometimes it's Just an Apple

Blogs can be funny. I am sure that everyone who writes one feels silly on a regular basis, wondering why the heck they have one, and whether anyone really reads it.

But sometimes it is just so right. Sometimes we have something important to say. Sometimes it touches people deeply, and starts to stir something in their hearts.

That is exactly what my friend Ashley's latest post is.

My Mother Teresa mantra slides right in beside this post, and has got me thinking about how we don't like to approach any problem unless we can solve it.

Ashley didn't, she just did something small.

But what if she did that small thing often? What would that do?

She wouldn't burn herself out. She couldn't use the excuse of lacking time and/or money.

But she could share with someone who needs something. It would inevitibly trickle into the rest of her life because she would stop trying to solve the problem, but instead, live in the moment and do what she can at that moment. She would be more attuned to needs and see ways that she could do the "small things with great love."

And if it caught on with her friends, what then?

There is a stirring in my spirit, to get over myself, to find no act to small, to act now with whatever I can.

Sometimes love is just an apple given to a hungry person. Sometimes those little things have the ability to transform not only the people involved, but the witnesses as well.

1 comment:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

...thanks Chels.

Yah, it's funny how once you start something like this changing back becomes impossible. I hope I always get to see the "little things"...

a.