Monday, November 24, 2008

My Ever Changing Blog

As the layers of the onion are peeled back, new insights are revealed.

First: I am a screw up...

...and by the grace of God, my weakness and inconsistencies don't have to define me. I can readily admit that others DO seem to do a better job of loving people- their actions speak SO loudly.

Second: So what?

Does that mean I shouldn't try?

It can be very intimidating when trying to make a positive change. Aside from the effort and personal challenge it poses, there is always the threat of hypocrisy.

Take making the choice to become a vegetarian, for instance. Sure, there is the initial discomfort of trying to figure out what to eat, and I can admit that some things (like junkfood meats: chicken nuggets, salami, bacon) smell SO good, but what is more unsettling is where does one stop? What about leather, dairy, eggs, seafood? It's a contradiction to be a vegetarian who wears leather and drinks milk from huge milk farms with exactly the same conditions as feed-lots.

...And so the well-meaning vegetarian is either criticized for being a hypocrite or they're sent running for the hills.

Third:It's a journey

Any choice to live more ethically is AMAZING. Period. I hate how positive action is cheapened by all the things you're "not doing"

If it was really that easy to have no inconsistencies then we'd all be saints.

...and while it is tempting to point a finger and say "while at least I don't ---" what does that achieve?

The well-meaning vegetarian is not choosing to be a vegetarian for all those angry meat eaters who are so bothered that they don't eat meat: well-meaning vegetarian is doing it for the environment and/or the animals.

I take renewed comfort in Mother Teresa's quote: "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

I don't care if you're a vegetarian who wears leather or a meat eater who refuses to have dairy- what matters is that you're trying: you're putting one foot in front of the other...

3 comments:

Farrah said...

well said.

afterthoughtcomposer said...

couldn't agree more.

MamaZ said...

When I read your "About Me", it reminded of Paul's writings in the New Testament, which means you are in good company!