Wednesday, October 29, 2008

J’taime le Vino

Okay, so my French is likely to be way off, but I don’t care. I hated my grade eleven French teacher, so mock him for being a lousy teacher if you’re gonna mock anyone.

It seems that every Saturday I find a section in my Globe and Mail on wine, and because of the current financial crisis- these articles are tailored to finding good, cheap wines.

I am so sick of writing down names of bottles I would like to try only to have them vanish- so I’m putting them up here whenever I come across them. You’re welcome to try them and report back to me, and perhaps, suggest some.



“Crowd Pleasing Reds at Reasonable Prices”… according to Beppi Crosariol.

Who wouldn’t want to listen to wine advise from a guy named Beppi?

*Red Knot Shiraz, 2006. Austrailia. $21.99

This one features a ZORK!!! I had no clue what that meant until I read the article. In Beppi’s words “it’s a bulbous [yum… words like ‘bulbous’ should be juxtaposed more to food and drink] turban-like top on the bottle that peels off in a circular manner.” Now you can impress your friends with that little piece of knowledge… if they’ll believe you and not just think you made up the word “zork.”

“Red knot is full-bodied and teeming with black fruits, enlivened by notes of black pepper, chili powder, cigar tobacco and herbs”

[sidenote: cigar tobacco??? I once saw a wine discription list pencil lead… hahaha. Just another reason to love it!]

*Lourens River Valley Morgenster [merlot], 2003. South Africa. $21.95

“Dominated by concentrated currant, spice and tobacco, and a bit of that smoky, love-it-or-leave-it quality of cap reds. Consider decanting it before serving. It should match nicely with roast lamb.”

*Beringer Founders’ Estate Merlot, 2005. California. $19.99

“You have to be impressed with the precision engineering in this wine, which is far better than many $20 competing big brands. The fruit is intense with almost-sweet cherry and plum, the texture is smooth as ready-to-drink merlot ought to be, with good acidity and just the right amount of vanilla and other oak-bourne influences.”

*Sumac Ridge Black Sage Vineyard Merlot, 2006. British Columbia. $20

“Decant the wine before serving if you can; it’s still youthful and tightly wound, exhibiting notes of black olive, new leather, plum, cherry and coffee.”

*Inniskillin Okanagan Merlot Reserve, 2005. $17.99

“There’s no mistaking the New World sunshine in this rich BC red, showing intense raspberry flavour and spicy oak”

*Quinta de Crasto Flor de Crasto, 2006. Portugal. $14.49

“One of the great things about portugese wines is that most people, including wine aficionados, know nothing about them. Portugal also delivers great value. These two considerations make it possible to skimp on price, deliver big flavour and nobody’s the wiser- the perfect wine equation… a medium full-bodied red… the texture is almost chewy, with delicious notes of cherry, plum, black pepper and wood.”

3 comments:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

did you take that picture? If so, I really like it. If not, I still really like it :)

Keira-Anne said...

I drink pinot noir and only pinot noir. Call me a wine snob if you will, but it's the best!

Chels said...

I did take that picture...on our 4 year anni on Saltspring.

And Keira, I take whatever I can get. Call me a lush if you will, but it's the best!