Monday, September 22, 2008

$57

My "old" self would be confused.

"But you hate politics..." it would say.

Today I spent $57 on a 3 month subscription to the "Globe and Mail"

Starting Wednesday, it will be dropped off at my door, and on days that I don't go to work, I will spend the early morning struggling to make sense of all the political editorials (and perhaps recognize the bias). According to my political science course, the "Globe and Mail" is the least partisan of all readily available media (including tv news) followed by the National Post... I wouldn't know. I had to look up the word partisan.

I am officially in my second week of school, and more importantly, I am taking my second political science course (Canadian Politics). I really don't understand why politics isn't part of grade school (aside form the danger of presenting it along with bias, which would be hugely damaging).

Living in a democratic society means that being politically active is one of the most important things a person can do, but what if we have no clue what the issues are and how the system works?

I am on a journey: to become more politically aware.

Hopefully that awareness will give birth to political action.

Women like Tzeporah Berman help to give me a butt kick in the right direction. She's seriously cool- mainly because she's full of passion. There are so few people in today's society who are truly passionate, and it is passion that will change the world.


I plan to continue to take courses until something sticks and I begin to stay informed on my own (or be "engaged" as Tzeporah would say). Perhaps I will post a little bit here and there of what I am learning, but don't expect it to be non-partisan (I'm learning!)because this it my blog dammit!

1 comment:

sharon said...

i totally love your blog Chels...you have some pretty wicked insight. Good luck on your journey of 'becoming'!!