Thursday, May 22, 2008

An Update

I really didn't expect that there would be so much hoopla over the cleanse, but I realize I'm not the only crazy fool out there...

...it's nice to know.

Today I am officially on the one week countdown. I have 21 days of cleansing behind me, 7 lbs dropped (likely excess water weight I've been carrying around day in and day out because I eat too much salt and simple carbohydrates), and, like my girl Ash (who's a few days behind me)... my skin is glowing.

I am very aware of the cognitive dissonance(yep, I'm a Psychology major... and I'm S-M-R-T) that is likely to be taking place, but some of the outcomes cannot so easily be "imagined."

So judge for yourself. Obviously if one puts so much hard work into something, they've gotta convince themselves that its working (otherwise I would have never stuck to it). Like I've already stated, I already did this cleanse nearly 5 years ago and was impressed... but I have been pleasantly surprised at the outcomes this time around as well.

So here goes:

*By day 6 my energy was soaring (last time I did it I felt sick to my stomach at that point as my body literally was going through with drawl from all the addictive substances in my regular diet... mainly sugar). I found the salt thing super hard, because all my food tasted so bland, but I didn't even give a thought to sugar which is incredible because I've always been completely convinced that I was a sugar-addict with an uncontrollable sweet-tooth... turns out... not so true.

*Just before the 2 week mark I developed a strange rash on my left cheek that curved up and around my eye. It didn't itch or hurt, but it was red and puffy/splotchy and lasted for 4 days. During that time I got quite a few pimples (on my face, back and chest... and I've never had any trouble with acne in my life) and developed darkened patches on my back. When you go on a long cleanse like this, your body gets a chance to really clean itself out and does so in any way it can- one of which being that toxins seep out of your pores, and a side effect can be breakouts and dark patches (mine were a mottled light brown)... the rash I didn't get last time but am convinced it's all part of it because I don't have allergies, and in any case, it wasn't itchy. Some people get really itchy as the toxins exit through your skin, and it's recommended that you shower and bathe lots and fill a sock with oatmeal and rub it all over your skin to soothe it... again, the first time I cleansed, I was horribly itchy, this time I was fine (perhaps because I became a vegetarian a year and a half ago?... interesting). While I didn't get itchy, I did notice I had a very unpleasant odour... gross but true... my skin got stanky within an hour of showering.

*Week 3 was brutal, half way through I got the flu... to spare the details (and save my dignity) all I will say is that on a cleanse, things tend to move through the digestive system with ease- add a flu on top of that? Oh horrors. While I craved ginger ale and soda crackers, I resisted (barely) and drank fresh unsweetened OJ and ate fruit... if I can continue to cleanse on a flu... than nothing is gonna stop me. The clouds finally parted and now I am beginning to feel great again. Other changes that I noticed was that my taste buds finally kicked in and with it an acute sense of smell (blessing or curse?... I'm not really sure). I had some dried fruit and was blown away by how incredibly sweet it was, and could only stomach a bit. My 3-weeks-ago self would've punched me for saying it, but it's true.

*Beginning of week 4: I've slowly begun to change my whole mindset- on this cleanse food is fuel. Period. It isn't a social salve (you realize how much every social gathering is centered on food when you can't eat most of it), it isn't to satisfy cravings, it's not a reward, it's not a "pick-me-up" and it is not consumed in excess... it is as it should be, and I am currently trying to harness this view of food. While I will add dairy, eggs, wheat and starch back into my diet after the cleanse, I am dead set on allowing these 28 days to be a HUGE learning experience.

I've learned to cook some stuff I've never tried (quinoa and millet) and LOVE it, and have experienced the difference that a natural meal (AKA not processed and prepackaged) makes in terms of appetite and energy (satisfied on less and it stays with you for a LONG time!). I'm not going to re-introduce certain things back into my diet such as artificial sweeteners, powdered soup stock and white flour. I'm going to be very leery of food labels and not buy it if I have no clue what's in it.

If one really thinks of the common side effects of a cleanse (nausea, headaches, rashes, breakouts, darkened skin patches, you skin smelling something like rotting food) why the heck are we even willing to put that stuff in our bodies in the first place? It's actually really scary.

I'm not saying I will be a complete angel, I will likely eat chips (but will buy the ones that are flavoured with dehydrated veggies and real spices etc.), candy (sweetened with REAL sugar NOT high concentrated fructose corn-syrup), and baked goods (likely those that I make so I know what's in them).

All in all, if your willing to put your taste buds aside, and work hard, I think you'll be glad you did it. It's only 28 days, after that you can eat whatever "you want", but I guarantee what "you want" will be completely different (but like anything, you have to continually put effort in afterwards, or you'll simply slip back into old habits).

3 comments:

sharon said...

i love your blog...and can totally appreciate the time you put into writing it--especially since mine is on hiatus at the moment due to lack of energy.....i am thinking about that cleanse and wonder if i could do with it (i think it would be hard with chris and 2 toddlers......but would probably be very beneficial in the long run right?)

Chels said...

Let's get one thing clear... when it comes to eating: I tend to hate guys- I swear that eating well would be so much easier if I lived with girls...

28 days may turn you into a dragon; however, you've got better weather and more variety in fruit coming your way, so it may be easier to do it this time of year than any other. I think the key is doing what you can- maybe set a goal of a mini cleanse, 7 days, at the end of it you'll know if you can go longer, if not, pat yourself on the back, you're a busy momma and any step in the right direction can't hurt. (You can always do another one at the end of summer, when the fresh fruit is in full swing and it's hot enough that your cravings are way less- I did my first cleanse in Sept)

afterthoughtcomposer said...

Hoopla is my middle name.