Saturday, March 15, 2008

Politics....Me!?!

I am just starting out a couple of new online courses: Environmental Science (Sustainability) and Political Science (Globalization). I knew I would enjoy Environmental Science (it is instilling a healthy fear in me, to say the least), but I had no idea that I actually possess a substantial appetite for politics.

I actually signed up for the course because I felt badly about how politically clueless I am- terms like hegemony, tory and deregulation did not compute. I could get away with it when I was 20, but five years later, and none more the wiser started to make me feel cheap.

I say it all the time, ignorance is bliss, but ignorance never changed the world.

As I settle down with my readings and my notebook, I find myself engrossed as I scribble out my notes at fever pace (jaw often dropping).

I'm just starting, but I am already beginning to think differently while I try to figure out where I stand on the subjects and issues.

I'm excited to begin to talk about issues rather than things.

And the ignorance thing?

I believe that having things worth fighting for make for a fuller life. I'd rather live a life of passion.

No comments: